20.8.06

To Another Island

Singapore with its tree lined perfect streets, 1000 singaporean dollar litter fees, 2 official media channels, "drug trafficking is punishable by death" signs, and "national day celebrations turn ugly as crowds jaywalk," can be a bit stifling. People ask me how it is and this is my best answer, "picture the perfect city in scifi films with the perfect treets, economically prosperous, with people generally happy. What's hidden in those films, an undercurrent that something is horribly wrong." I'm not saying anything is wrong in Singapore --- ahem ahem... I'm merely saying the "perfectness" is a bit scary. I'm not a big fan of suburbia as it's someone's vision and creation that is, in my opinion, detached from reality. I understand the great growing up experience and I do not regret my childhood growing up in safe community with wonderful schools. It's the same here as my friend Jenny and I talked, she said, "I want to have fun elsewhere because Singapore can be a bit sterile, but it's where I'd want to raise my children." This is not to say that there is no nightlife because there is, it's just the overall feeling of the city is one of control.

So what does one do when confronted with such realities? Take off for Indonesia for the first weekend, which is what I did. This is, of course after I spent some time wandering around Singapore visiting Chinatown, Little India, Clarke Quay, River Valley, City Hall, etc etc. All fine and dandy, but a beach is always a good draw. So an interesting upside of Singapore is it's diversity which I do appreciate with its Malaysia, Chinese, Indian populations mixed together. There are Hindu temples next to churches and mosques. In any case Singapore is also wonderfully strategically situated allowing Singaporeans to travel an hour in either the Northern or Southern direction to reach Indonesia or Malaysia.

With friends I went to Pulau Bintan. On the Northern coast of Bintan is the Bintan Beach resort which is owned and operated by Singaporeans. This resort is the destination for Singaporeans looking for a quick weekend getaway that is not the super super "fake" Sentosa beach Even though it is in Indonesia, the Bintan Beach resort accepts Singaporean dollars and has lovely first class golf courses. Being poor graduate students we consulted the Lonely Planet and headed to the Eastern coast where one can be economical and far away from all the crowds. This we found where no one else was to be found for kilometers and a quiet beach with floating fisherman's houses in the water. It was nice as there were basic guesthouses and fresh food prepared daily. Compared to the 300 singaporean it would cost a day at the beach resort, I believe the entire weekend cost in total, about 100 singaporean dollars. A steal and a lovely break.

Singapore and Pulau Bintan

2 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

between you and me, maybe we can cover all the continents.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Mai-Lan said...

yes, I think you'll be leading the charge, you've done Asia, Europe, North America, and coming up South America. I think I might be able to squeeze in Australia at some point, leaving Africa and um.. Antarctica -- that might be a toughy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home