10.8.06

Another Plane another Destination

For all you avid readers, I've been incommunicado as August arrived, work wound down, vacation beckoned, packing called, and another destination awaited.

There are those who say that around 2 to 3 months you recognize whether or not you can live in a city once you get comfortable. For all its congestion, noise, and smells, I have to say that I really did enjoy my times in Bangkok greatly. A large part was the staff I worked with at FA who provided comfortable companionship and socialization during the non work hours as well as a few friends from SIPA who were also in the city. The work was interesting and more rewarding than other internships. BKK is a burgeoning metropolis with a hustle and bustle of a consumer culture crammed next to the "slums" that are pushed to the sidelines. I took the klong (boat on the canals) to get to Khao San in order to pick up my tailored suit, instead of sitting down, I decided to stand up so I could actually see what was around me. It's the exact opposite of the glitzy Siam Paragons of Sukhumvit, instead you have people pouring their rubbish into the canal, sitting in their one room houses with simple mats, rather than large gardens. It's a lasting image that beckons me to return.


I spent my last five days before going to Singapore sitting on a beach on Koh Phi Phi. Blue waters, snorkelling, reading, laying about, some relaxation before another school year. I have to say it was absolutely what I needed although the days went by too quickly placing me back in Bangkok much too quickly for my liking. I departed the next day for Singapore, leaving me here today in a dorm room yet again typing this entry.

Singapore, what can I say? It doesn't feel quite like one is in Asia. It is very Western, way too planned, like another pre-planned surburbia. The dorm I'm living in Prince George's Park feels a bit like UCLA De Neve dorms so in some ways I feel as though I've gone back in time. Except now the people speak more languages and are undoubtedly almost all Asian. So another journey begins anew, I look forward to it although I miss Bangkok.

Some new photos can be found here. They are on the third page.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I am happy because you got a good time "interim" in BKK.

Singapore City is small and as nice as Western cities... BUT do you find some things different over there? YES! I believe people, your love family and friends....

Stay there for your school (FALL semester)... then we plan to see all together on the end of the year.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stinkers! im so jealous of your recent escapade to pp. glad you had a blast in bangkok. now you can join me in saving the world in bkk once you graduate.

send me a postcard from singapore. and stay out of trouble, i don't want to see you on cnn for this reason. =)

-v.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger esther said...

i updated my blog. but... it's just a rant. i miss you. see you in a few months. which, i think is as often as we get to see each other now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home